Mathematics Department Staff
For more information about the Subject curriculum, please contact: Mrs R Llewellyn-Ball the Curriculum Leader
- Mrs R Llewellyn-Ball - Curriculum Leader
- Mr D Blackburn - Second in Department
- Mr S Copner - Teacher of Maths
- Miss H Corner - Teacher of Maths
- Mr M Daniels - Teacher of Maths
- Mr J Harris - Teacher of Maths
- Mr G Jennings - Teacher of Maths (Head of Worden)
- Mr P Paize - Teacher of Maths
- Mrs C Speakman - Teacher of Maths
Balshaw's Maths Department seek to foster a love of the language of Mathematics and equip students with the problem-solving strategies and Mathematical skills they will need in the future.
Key Stage 3
All students, whatever their starting point follow the KS3 National Curriculum studying all 6 strands of:
• Ratio, proportion and rates of change
• Geometry and Measures
Students are placed in mixed prior attainment groups and are encouraged to aim high with “teaching to the top” and scaffolding to support all students.
For more information, please below:
Key Stage 4 and GCSE
The Mathematics Department at Balshaw’s enter all students for the AQA Mathematics GCSE. We follow the AQA route map which allows for plenty pf problem solving activities, retrieval practice and interleaving of the subject. Students may be entered for either:
· Higher Tier GCSE Mathematics (grades 9 – 4)
· Foundation Tier GCSE Mathematics (grades 5 – 1)
For more information, please see below.
Assessment in Mathematics at Balshaw's
- The ability to carry out basic calculations efficiently and accurately, either mentally or with pencil and paper as appropriate.
- The ability to apply knowledge of number to both familiar and new circumstances and to use it in the solution of problems, including those involving percentages, ratio, and proportion.
- The ability to understand and use units of measurement of length, mass, capacity, and time.
- The ability to understand and use information presented in graphs, tables, and charts.
To support our staff in delivering numeracy, we have created a handbook which details the roles and responsibilities of all staff, as well as guidance and support.
Numeracy Across the Curriculum
To support our staff in ensuring consistency in delivery of numeracy we have created a 'how to' booklet of methods that are taught in Mathematics lessons. This booklet is also to support parents in helping with children's numeracy at home.
Numeracy Across the Curriculum Skills Support Booklet